Hands free taps and mixers
Foot tap for hands free wash basins
The AF-BFV demand floor hands free tap is ideal for heavy industrial hands free use. Specially designed to withstand heavy duty use with stainless steel box and rubber protective foot contact diaphragm. A single foot tap can be connected with two 15 mm flexible hoses. The AF-BFV stainless steel boxed foot tap will supply cold water only but it can be used in conjunction with the Rada Meynell 15/3 or Grohtherm thermostatic mixer to provide scald free hot water for the user.
The AF-BFV foot tap is often used with Slab sinks. The Knee operated sink is also changed to a foot operated, hands free, sink with this item.
Note that this foot tap does not mix hot and cold water. You need a thermostatic valve to pre-mix the hot and cold water. Thermostatic valves have the advantage of reducing the water to a maximum of 41°C. This is deemed a safe temperature so that operators do not scald/burn their hands during use.
The alternative to the foot tap is a knee valve or knee tap. Other taps for hands free operation are infrared taps (IR taps) that work with either batteries or 240V power. The disadvantage is that people still tend to touch or adjust the IR tap which defies the whole object of having a hands free system.
Installing a thermostatic valve with the boxed foot valve
Installation diagram of the Boxed Foot Valve with a thermostatic mixer. For single basin use the Grohtherm, for up to three basins use the Rada Meynell 15/3 thermostatic valve to mix hot and cold water. In critical applications please use a temperature and pressure gauge (WC-508-001) or just temperature gauge (WC-TMP80). The basin and the deck mounted spout are optional items.
Knee valve for hands free hand washing
Knee valve for hands free washing. Can be mounted onto a brick wall. Suitable for most wall mounted hand wash basins. Provides cold water or pre-mixed water only.
The AF-KV is a demand metered valve. You need to hold the lever to one side in order for the water to flow. Once the knee operated valve is released the water stops flowing.
Pressure range: 30 kPa – 100 kPa.
Not suitable for sea water. Please use only with palatable filtered water. Installation of a filter before the unit will prolong the lifespan of the internal mechanism.
For hot water please install a thermostatic mixer as in the diagrams provided.
Euroeco Cosmopolitan E infra-red tap specification
Infra-red electronic basin mixer 1/2″ without mixing device – Cold water or pre-mixed water only (Pre-mixed water provided through a thermostatic mixer like the GR-34487000 or Meynell 15/3). The infra-red tap comes with a plug transformer 100-230 V AC, 50-60 Hz, 6 V DC. The unit is for single hole installation only so it fits on basins that require only 1 tap hole. 230V and 6 V versions are available. The battery and solenoid valve are installed below the wash basin for ease of maintenance
There are 7 pre-set programs:
- 24/72 hours autoflush
- time or user dependent
- cleaning mode
- safety stop after 60 sec.
Additional functions by remote control 36 206 000:
- adjustable flow time
- adjustable reflection range by remote
- activation of thermal disinfection for 3.5 or 11 min by hand
The infra-red tap has a flow rate of 5.7 l/min and uses cold or premixed water only. Use a thermostatic mixer such as the Rada Meynell 15/3 to provide mixed anti-scalding water in industrial and commercial environments.
The infra-red tap comes with flexible connection hose and includes a non-return valve. The solenoid valve is external, so make sure there is enough space below the vanity top to install the solenoids. Also make sure that the solenoids can be access for maintenance. Dirt strainers are included.
The Euroeco Cosmopolitan E is CE approved
Where to use infra-red taps
Most often infra-red taps are used in commercial applications such as restaurants, shopping mall and hotels. These taps prevent people accidentally leaving the tap open and wasting valuable water. The two Euroeco models do not mix water, so pre-mixing is required especially in high end applications such as in hotels and restaurants. Pre-mixing can easily be done with thermostatic mixers and if more than 5 units are used it might be more economical to install a thermostatic mixer.
Walcro ETI-5 Infra-red lithium battery basin tap
- The Walcro ETI-5 is a Ø15mm Chrome plated infra-red battery operated basin tap.
- Power supply: 1 x 6 DCV CR-P2 Lithium battery.
- Power consumption: Approximately 3 years based on 100 persons/use/day.
- Low battery indicator: Red flashing lamp with self closing feature.
- Sensor range: Default at 150mm, adjustable between 50mm to 200mm.
- Vandalism safety: Automatic flow shut-down after 1min of continuous water flow.
- Temperature: Incoming water temperature rage: 4-65°C only.
- Blended water: Recommended the Walcro ETI-5 is supplied with blended water using either the Grohtherm or Rada Meynell 15/3 Thermostatic mixing valves. This will also ensure that the tap lasts longer since the water is maintained within operating temperatures. Never connect the tap directly to a geyser or hot water boiler.
- Pressure: Water supply pressure range: 70 kPa to 600 kPa. If you are not sure of the water pressure, please use a pressure regulator.
- Recommended Walcro pressure reducing valve to be fitted for high pressure installations not only to reduce pressure but also helps save water.
- Filter: The Walcro ETI-5 has an integrated water filter. However, all water supply pipes must be thoroughly flushed to remove all pipe debris. Strongly recommended a inline strainer be fitted to the main supply to the basin banks.
Pre-mixing hot and cold water – use thermostatic valves
The Grohe Euroeco Cosmopolitan E can provide warm water below 42°C if it is connected with a thermostatic mixer. Depending on the volume required i.e. 2 different thermostatic mixers can be used. A thermostatic valve needs to be installed between the angle valve and solenoid valve in order to supply pre-mixed hot water. The water temperature is also limited to 42°C.
Protecting you taps and valves from dirt and high pressure
Dirt and high pressures are a major problem and the main cause for malfunctioning taps and valves. Please install an inline dirt strainer before each unit. The AF-BFV does come with both.